Start of the Blue Mountain Council
The Boy Scouts of America was founded on February 8, 1910 by a group of prominent Americans led by Chicago newspaper publisher W.D. Boyce. Boyce received his chief inspiration from Lord Robert Baden-Powell, who founded Scouting in England in 1907, Daniel Carter Beard and his “Sons of Daniel Boone”, and Ernest Thompson Seton.
In 1916 the Boy Scouts of America received a charter from the Sixty-Fourth Congress of the United States “to promote, through organization, and cooperation with other agencies, the ability of boys to do things for themselves and others, to train them in Scoutcraft, and to teach them patriotism, courage, self-reliance, and kindred virtues, using the methods which are now in common use by the Boy Scouts.”
On February 1, 1922 a committee appointed by the Rotary Club of Walla Walla met to officially form a Boy Scout Council. An application was submitted on February 22, and on May 15, 1922, what became the Blue Mountain Council was chartered by the National Council to implement a quality Scouting program to all youth in Walla Walla County. The first president of the council was Rotarian W.L. Stirling and the first commissioner was Rotarian Herman S. Reichard.
On April 18, 1923 the council was extended to serve Franklin, Garfield, Columbia, and Umatilla Counties. On January 11, 1927 the communities of Milton, OR, Freewater, OR and Kennewick, WA were added. In May,1935 the Eastern Oregon Council, consisting of Union, Baker, and Wallowa Counties and in operation since 1921, joined the council. In 1936 Grant, Wheeler, Gilliam, and Morrow Counties joined. Richland and Horn Rapids were added in 1943 and the final current boundaries were established with the addition of Benton City, Kiona, White Bluffs, and Hanford in January, 1953.
Even though the Blue Mountain Council was not chartered until 1922, the Scouting program had been active in the area prior to that through a number of community organizations. The first recorded Eagle Scout in the area was Leonard Kincaid of Troop 2 in Kennewick in November 1921. The council’s first Eagle Scout was George Charles Bryan of Troop 1 in Walla Walla in February 1923.
As we have time, we are attempting to scan our historical documents and will post what we can when we have time.